Wladek Walukiewicz graduated from Warsaw University in 1971 with an M.S. in Physics and from the Institute of Physics Polish Academy of Sciences in 1974 with a PhD in Solid State Physics. From 1974 to 1982 he worked for the Institute of Physics. During that time he was a frequent visitor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology where he conducted studies on electrical and optical properties of compound semiconductors. In 1984 Dr. Walukiewicz joined Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory as a staff scientist. He currently holds a position of senior staff scientist, principal investigator in the Materials Sciences Division, and deputy Program Leader of the Electronics Materials Program. Dr. Walukiewicz’s work covers a broad range of topics in the physics of semiconductors. He has developed models of electronic transport in three- and two-dimensional systems. He has made major contributions to understanding the defect properties of semiconductors. Working with a group of collaborators Dr. Walukiewicz has discovered highly mismatched alloys, a new class of semiconductor materials. In his most recent work he has shown that the band gaps of GaInN alloys perfectly match the solar spectrum offering a potential material system for high efficiency, multijunction solar cells. Dr. Walukiewicz has published over 200 papers, review articles and book chapters. He is a co-inventor on several patent applications. Recently he co-edited a special issue of “Semiconductor Science and Technology” on the properties of group III-N-V alloys.
• W. Shan, W. Walukiewicz, J. W. Ager, E.E. Haller, J.F. Geisz, D.J. Friedman, J.M. Olson, and S.R. Kurtz, “Band anticrossing in GaInNAs alloys,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 82(6), 1221 (1999).
• W. Walukiewicz, W. Shan, K. M. Yu, J. W. Ager III, E. E. Haller, I. Miotkowski, M. J. Seong, H. Alawadhi, and A. K. Ramdas, "Interaction of Localized Electronic States with the Conduction Band: Band Anticrossing in II-VI Semiconductor Ternaries," Phys. Rev. Lett. 85, 1552 (2000).
• J. Wu, W. Walukiewicz, K.M. Yu, J.W. Ager III, E.E. Haller, H. Lu, W.J. Schaff, Y. Saito, and Y. Nanishi, "Unusual properties of the fundamental band gap of InN," Appl. Phys. Lett. 80, 3967 (2002).
• K. M. Yu, W. Walukiewicz, J. Wu, W. Shan, J. W. Beeman, M. A. Scarpulla, O. D. Dubon, and P. Becla, “Diluted II-VI oxide semiconductors with multiple band gaps,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 246403 (2003).
• R. E. Jones, K. M. Yu, S. X. Li, W.
Walukiewicz, J. W. Ager III, E. E. Haller, H. Lu, and W.J. Schaff, “Evidence
for p-type doping of InN,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 125505 (2006).
• M.A. Mayer, D.T. Speaks, K.M. Yu, S.S. Mao, E.E. Haller and W. Walukiewicz, “Band structure engineering of ZnO1-xSex alloys,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 022104 (2010).
• T. Tanaka,
K.M. Yu, P.R. Stone, J.W. Beeman, O.D. Dubon, L.A. Reichertz, V.M. Kao, M.
Nishio, W. Walukiewicz, “Demonstration of homojunction ZnTe solar cells,” J.
Appl. Phys. 108, 024502 (2010).
• K.M. Yu, S.V. Novikov, R. Broesler, Z. Liliental-Weber, A.X. Levander, V.M. Kao, O.D. Dubon, J. Wu, W. Walukiewicz, and C.T. Foxon, “Low gap amorphous GaN1-xAsx alloys grown on glass substrate,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 101906 (2010).
Levander, K.M. Yu, S.V. Novikov, A. Tseng, C.T. Foxon, O.D. Dubon, J. Wu, and
W. Walukiewicz, “GaN1-xBix: Extremely mismatched semiconductor
alloys,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 141919
• N. Lopez, L.A. Reichertz, K.M. Yu, K. Campman, and W. Walukiewicz, “Engineering the Electronic Band Structure for Multiband Solar Cells,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 028701 (2011).