Professor Ali Javey received a Ph.D. degree in chemistry from
Stanford University in 2005, and was a Junior Fellow of the Harvard
Society of Fellows from 2005 to 2006. He then joined the faculty of the
University of California at Berkeley where he is currently an associate
professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences. He is also a
faculty scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory where he
serves as the program leader of Electronic Materials (E-Mat). He is an
associate editor of ACS Nano. He is the co-director of Berkeley Sensor and Actuator Center (BSAC), and Bay Area PV Consortium (BAPVC).
Professor Javey's research interests encompass the fields of
chemistry, materials science, and electrical engineering. His work
focuses on the integration of nanoscale electronic materials for various
technological applications, including novel nanoelectronics, flexible
circuits and sensors, and energy generation and harvesting. For his
contributions to the field, he has received numerous awards, including
APEC Science Prize for Innovation, Research and Education (2011);
Netexplorateur of the Year Award (2011); IEEE Nanotechnology Early
Career Award (2010); Alfred P. Sloan Fellow (2010); Mohr Davidow
Ventures Innovators Award (2010); National Academy of Sciences Award for
Initiatives in Research (2009); Technology Review TR35 (2009); NSF
Early CAREER Award (2008); U.S. Frontiers of Engineering by National
Academy of Engineering (2008); and Peter Verhofstadt Fellowship from the
Semiconductor Research Corporation (2003).
- M. Amani, D. Lien, D. Kiriya, J. Xiao, A. Azcatl, J. Noh, S. R. Madhvapathy, R. Addou, K. Santosh, M. Dubey, K. Cho, R. M. Wallace, S. Lee, J. He, J. W. Ager, X. Zhang, E. Yablonovitch, and A. Javey, "Near-unity photoluminescence quantum yield in MoS2," Science, vol. 350, no. 6264, pp. 1065-1068, 2015.
- H. Ota, K. Chen, Y. Lin, D. Kiriya, H. Shiraki, Z. Yu, T. Ha, and A. Javey, "Highly deformable liquid-state heterojunction sensors," Nature Communications, vol. 5, no. 5032, 2014.
- H. Fang, C. Battaglia, C. Carraro, S. Nemsak, B. Ozdol, J. S. Kang, H. A. Bechtel, S. B. Desai, F. Kronast, A. A. Unal, G. Conti, C. Conlon, G. K. Palsson, M. C. Martin, A. M. Minor, C. S. Fadley, E. Yablonovitch, R. Maboudian, and A. Javey, "Strong interlayer coupling in van der Waals heterostructures built from single-layer chalcogenides," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 111, pp. 6198--6202, 2014.
- X. Zhang, Z. Yu, C. Wang, D. Zarrouk, J. T. Seo, J. C. Cheng, A. D. Buchan, K. Takei, Y. Zhao, J. W. Ager, J. Zhang, M. Hettick, M. C. Hersam, A. Pisano, R. S. Fearing, and A. Javey, "Photoactuators and motors based on carbon nanotubes with selective chirality distributions," Nature Communications, vol. 5, no. 2983, 2014.
- H. Fang, H. A. Bechtel, E. Plis, M. C. Martin, S. Krishna, E. Yablonovitch, and A. Javey, "Quantum of optical absorption in two-dimensional semiconductors," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 110, no. 29, pp. 11688--11691, 2013.
- C. Wang, D. Hwang, Z. Yu, K. Takei, J. Park, T. Chen, B. Ma, and A. Javey, "User-interactive electronic skin for instantaneous pressure visualization," Nature Materials, vol. 12, pp. 899-904, 2013.
- R. Kapadia, Z. Yu, H. H. Wang, M. Zheng, C. Battaglia, M. Hettick, D. Kiriya, K. Takei, P. Lobaccaro, J. W. Beeman, J. W. Ager, R. Maboudian, D. C. Chrzan, and A. Javey, "A direct thin-film path towards low-cost large-area III-V photovoltaics," Scientific Reports, vol. 3, pp. 2275, July 2013.
- H. Fang, S. Chuang, T. C. Chang, K. Takei, T. Takahashi, and A. Javey, "High-performance single layered WSe2 p-FETs with chemically doped contacts," Nano Letters, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 3788--3792, 2012.
- H. Ko, K. Takei, R. Kapadia, S. Chuang, H. Fang, P. W. Leu, K.
Ganapathi, E. Plis, H. S. Kim, S. Chen, M. Madsen, A. C. Ford, Y. Chueh,
S. Krishna, S. Salahuddin, and A. Javey, "Ultrathin compound semiconductor on insulator layers for high-performance nanoscale transistors," Nature, vol. 468, no. 7321, pp. 286-289, Nov. 2010.
- K. Takei, T. Takahashi, J. C. Ho, H. Ko, A. G. Gillies, P. W. Leu, R. S. Fearing, and A. Javey, "Nanowire active-matrix circuitry for low-voltage macroscale artificial skin," Nature Materials, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 821-826, Oct. 2010.
- Z. Fan, H. Razavi, J. Do, A. Moriwaki, O. Ergen, Y. Chueh, P. W.
Leu, J. C. Ho, T. Takahashi, L. A. Reichertz, S. Neale, K. Yu, M. C. Wu,
J. W. Ager, and A. Javey, "Three-dimensional nanopillar-array photovoltaics on low-cost and flexible substrates," Nature Materials, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 648-653, Aug. 2009.
- A. Javey and J. Kong, Eds., Carbon Nanotube Electronics, Springer, 2009.
- Z. Fan, J. C. Ho, Z. A. Jacobson, H. Razavi, and A. Javey, "Large scale, heterogeneous integration of nanowire arrays for image sensor circuitry," Proc. National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 32, pp. 11066-11070, Aug. 2008.
- J. C. Ho, R. Yerushalmi, Z. A. Jacobson, Z. Fan, R. L. Alley, and A. Javey, "Controlled nanoscale doping of semiconductors via molecular monolayers," Nature Materials, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 62-67, Jan. 2008.
- A. Javey, J. Guo, Q. Wang, D. Mann, M. Lundstrom, and H. Dai, "High-field quasiballistic transport in short carbon nanotubes," Physical Review Letters, vol. 92, no. 10, pp. 106804, March 2004.
- A. Javey, J. Guo, Q. Wang, M. Lundstrom, and H. Dai, "Ballistic carbon nanotube field-effect transistors," Nature, vol. 424, no. 6949, pp. 654-657, 2003.
- A. Javey, H. Kim, M. Brink, Q. Wang, A. Ural, J. Gu, P. McIntyre, P. McEuen, M. Lundstrom, and H. Dai, "High-k dielectrics for advanced carbon-nanotube transistors and logic gates," Nature Materials, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 241-246, Dec. 2002.