Daryl C. Chrzan is a Professor of Materials Science at the University of California, Berkeley, and holds a joint appointment at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, where he is a member of the Electronic Materials Program. He received his Ph. D. in Condensed Matter Theory from Physics Department of the University of California, Berkeley in 1989. Immediately thereafter, he joined the Computational Materials Science Group at Sandia National Laboratories in Livermore, California. In 1995, he joined the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at the University of California. He has received an NSF CAREER award, and more recently, was awarded a Miller Research Professorship.
Professor Chrzan specializes in Computational Materials Science. His research interests include the mechanical properties of metals and metallic compounds, the structure of extended defects in solids, and the growth of nanostructures.
• Q. Xu, I. D. Sharp, C. W. Yuan, D. O. Yi, C. Y. Liao, A. M. Glaeser, A. M. Minor, J. W. Beeman, M. C. Ridgway, P. Kluth, J. W. Ager, III, D. C. Chrzan and E. E. Haller, "Large Melting-Point Hysteresis of Ge Nanocrystals Embedded in SiO2," Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 155701 (2006)..
• C. W. Yuan, D. O. Yi, I. D. Sharp, S. J. Shin, C. Y. Liao, J. Guzman, J. W. Ager, III, E. E. Haller and D. C. Chrzan, "Theory of Nanocluster Size Distributions from Ion Beam Synthesis," Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 146101 (2009).
• C. W. Yuan, D. O. Yi, I. D. Sharp, S. J. Shin, C. Y. Liao, J. Guzman, J. W. Ager, III, E. E. Haller and D. C. Chrzan, "Size-distribution evolution of ion-beam-synthesized nanoclusters in silica," Phys. Rev. B 80, 134121 (2009).
• Y.-L. Chueh, C. N. Boswell, C.-W. Yuan, S. J. Shin, K. Takei, J. C. Ho, H. Ko, Z. Fan, E. E. Haller, D. C. Chrzan, A. Javey, "Nanoscale Structural Engineering via Phase Segregation: Au-Ge System," Nano Lett. 10, 393 (2010).
• S. J. Shin, J. Guzman, C.W. Yuan, C. Y. Liao, C. N. Boswell-Koller, P. R. Stone, O. D. Dubon, A. M. Minor, M. Watanabe, J. W. Beeman, K. M. Yu, J. W. Ager, III, D. C. Chrzan and E. E. Haller, "Embedded Binary Eutectic Alloy Nanostructures: A New Class of Phase Change Materials," Nano Lett. 10, 2794 (2010).
• C. A. Sawyer, J. Guzman, C. N. Boswell-Koller, M. P. Sherburne, J. P. Mastandrea, K. C. Bustillo, J. W. Ager, III, E. E. Haller and D. C. Chrzan, "Modeling pulsed-laser melting of embedded semiconductor nanoparticles," J. Appl. Phys.110, 094307 (2011).